Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Collection Number: A&M.0112
Overview Folklore of West Virginia collected by Woofter, who was a student of John Harrington Cox and Louis Watson Chappell. The collection consists of a card file of approximately 10,000 folklore items, including superstitions, sayings, riddles, remedies and tales, as well as a pair of unpublished bound volumes entitled FOLKLORE OF WEST VIRGINIA containing folklore and folksongs with musical notation by Woofter's protege Patrick Gainer. While Woofter never published his discoveries, he did supply...
Dates: ca. 1920-1940
Collection Number: A&M.1668
Overview These scrapbooks which were collected or compiled by B.B. Chapman concern Webster Springs High School, Fairmont State College, Glenville State College, and West Virginia University. Included are correspondence, faculty contracts, diplomas, teaching certificates, report cards, class lists, and other similar materials.
Collection Number: A&M.0661
Overview Personal papers of a Glenville attorney, dealing with his law practice, service in the Spanish-American War, and his education at Glenville State Normal School and West Virginia University College of Law.
Collection Number: A&M.4198
Overview Papers of Louis Bennett, a wealthy lawyer, and of his wife, Sallie Bennett. This collection is minimally processed. Includes letters, a few photographs, and other material. There are records regarding the Glenville Normal School (including reports, correspondence, and advertising from publishers of school books) where Mr. Bennett was a principal (1870s); and letters authored by Sallie Bennett to her husband Louis (1880s). This collection is largely unprocessed.
Dates: ca. 1870-1930
Collection Number: A&M.2028
Overview Correspondence, speeches, essays, financial notes, certificates, an account book, a class attendance book for 1860, and a term paper prepared for a Glenville College, West Virginia, history class entitled, 'The Aaron D. Peterson Family.' The correspondence contains letters written by David T. Peterson to family and friends while serving with Federal forces in the Civil War. Subjects include schools, politics, farming, Civil War camps, units, troop movements, and battles at Droop Mountain,...
Collection Number: A&M.1976
Overview Correspondence of the West Virginia State Board of Control, which was responsible for all state correctional institutions, educational institutions, and hospitals from 1909 to 1949. Individuals serving on the three-man board at various times were John S. Lakin, J.W. Barnes, J.A. Chambers, J.S. Darst, Edgar B. Stewart, J.Z. Terrell, W.R. Thurmond, John B. White, and F.W. McCullough. State institutions covered in the correspondence are Bluefield State College; Berkeley Springs Sanitarium;...
Collection Number: A&M.0711
Overview Blueprints, correspondence, contractors' accounts, photographs, and other papers for buildings at West Virginia University, Marshall College, Glenville State Normal School, West Liberty State Normal School, New River State School, and other institutions.
Dates: 1912, 1926-1931
- Names: Glenville State College X
- Universities and colleges 5
- Education. SEE ALSO Schools. 3
- Account books 2
- Education 2
- Gilmer County (W. Va.) 2
- Politics and government. 2
- Schools. SEE ALSO Academies 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- Women's history -- 1900-1929 2
- African-Americans. SEE ALSO Coal miners - African Americans. 1
- Berkeley Springs Park. 1
- Builders and contractors. 1
- Calhoun County (W. Va.) 1
- Cemeteries -- Indian Mound Cemetery 1
- Civil War -- Camps and camp life 1
- Civil War battles - Droop Mountain. 1
- Civil War battles - Moorefield. 1
- Civil War battles - Winchester. 1
- Coal mining - Miners' Hospitals 1, 2, 3. 1
- Droop Mountain Battlefield. 1
- Farms and farming. 1
- Folk medicine. 1
- Folk music 1
- Folklore 1
- Glenville (W. Va.) 1
- Hospitals and sanitariums. 1
- Inwood Demonstration Packing Plant. 1
- Jackson County (W. Va.) 1
- Jackson's Mill 4-H Camp. 1
- Lawyers - letters and papers. 1
- Medicine - Folk remedies. 1
- Photographs. 1
- Prisons. SEE ALSO Civil War - prisons and prisoners. 1
- Spanish-American War, 1898 1
- Webster County (W. Va.) 1
- Webster Springs. 1
- West Virginia - state buildings. 1
- Women's history -- 1850-1899 1 ∧ less