Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 18
Collection Number: A&M.3845
Overview Cased ambrotype image of William Gay Brown, Sr. and Daniel Duane Tompkins Farnsworth, prominent political leaders in the formation and early government of West Virginia. The opposite side of the image has a political advertisement stating, "People's Ticket; For Congress, Wm. G. Brown. Senate, Dan. D. T. Farnsworth." The ambrotype is 2 3/4 in. x 3 1/4 in. with ornate, somewhat corroded, copper-toned preserver and mat. The case is 3 1/4 in. x 3 3/4 in. with embossed paper over wood.
Dates: ca. 1860
Collection Number: A&M.2265
Overview One common pleas book, and two "Memorandum of Decisions" books from the law firm of A.B. Fleming, plus a genealogical record of the Fleming family.
Dates: ca. 1880-1905
Collection Number: A&M.0913
Overview Papers of West Virginia Congressman Harley O. Staggers. Includes legislative files, correspondence, reports, bills, speeches, resolutions, news releases, and invitations. There are records of the House Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce which Staggers chaired. There are also copies of bills regarding banking, broadcasting, clean air, education, finance, international relations, the judiciary, public works, and trade. (Box 68, folder 22, contains legislative material pertaining to...
Collection Number: A&M.4118
Overview Nick Joe Rahall II (b.1949) represented West Virginia’s Third District in the United States House of Representatives for nineteen terms. He was elected as a Democrat to the Ninety-fifth Congress and served from January 3, 1977-January 3, 2015. From 2007-2011, he was chair of the Committee on Natural Resources. From 1971-1974, he was a staff member in the United States Senate Office of the Majority Whip, and he was a delegate to both the 1972 and 1976 Democratic National Conventions. The bulk of...
Collection Number: A&M.0304
Overview Letters from West Virginia newspapers and organizations such as the West Virginia Editorial Association concerning Dorr's prospects for his first re-election as a Congressman. The correspondence is indicative of the lobbying efforts exercised by the press on the political process of that era.
Collection Number: A&M.0717
Scope and Contents Additional papers of Henry G. Davis, mainly cancelled checks and check tubs. There are several letters, telegrams and freight bills, 1875-1897; and bank statements; U.S. geological Survey Maps; and a picture of George R. Latham.
Collection Number: A&M.2667
Overview Two scrapbooks kept by Congressman John M. Wolverton's Washington office, documenting his activities as West Virginia's 3rd Congressional District Representative in the U.S. House of Representatives, 1925-30. Subjects covered include the Republican Party and Congressional elections.
Collection Number: A&M.1164
Overview Transcription of an oral history interview by Niel M. Johnson of the Harry S. Truman Library with Ken Hechler. Hechler, born 1914 in Roslyn, NY, received A.B., Swarthmore 1935; M.A., Columbia 1936; Ph.D., Columbia 1940 in Political Science which he later taught at Columbia, Princeton, and Marshall Universities. He served as a U. S. Army combat historian in Europe during World War II. Hechler was a research assistant to President Franklin D. Roosevelt and was special assistant to President Harry...
Collection Number: A&M.1414
Scope and Contents Papers of Matthew Neely, a politician who had a long career as senator, congressman, governor, and Democratic political boss. Collection includes speeches, correspondence, pamphlets, legal papers, photographs, and copies of the Congressional Record . There are also newspaper clipping scrapbooks covering the years 1928-1954 (on five reels of microfilm). Neely had a long career, including law student at West Virginia University, Marion County lawyer, mayor of Fairmont, congressman, 1913-1921,...
Collection Number: A&M.1353
Scope and Contents Newspaper clippings on Neely's controversy as a law student at WVU, and his subsequent career as a lawyer, Mayor of Fairmont, Congressman, and United States Senator.
- Subject: United States Congressmen - West Virginia X
- United States. Congress 5
- Democratic Party (U.S.) 4
- Davis, Henry Gassaway, 1823-1916 3
- Goff, Nathan, 1843-1920 3
- Neely, Matthew Mansfield, 1874-1958 3
- Elkins, Stephen B. (Stephen Benton), 1841-1911 2
- United States. Congress. Senate 2
- West Virginia University 2
- Acheson, Dean, 1893-1971 1
- Bailey, Cleveland Monroe, 1886-1965 1
- Bell, David. 1
- Brooks, Robert C. 1
- Brown, William Gay. 1
- Carroll, John. 1
- Clifford, Clark M., 1906-1998 1
- Davis, Thomas B. 1
- Davis, Thomas Beall (1896-1913) 1
- Dorr, C.P. 1
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969 1
- Elsey, George M., 1918-2015 1
- Farnsworth, D.D.T. 1
- Fleming family - Genealogy 1
- Fleming, A. B. (Aretas Brooks), 1839-1923 1
- Geological Survey (U.S.) 1
- Göring, Hermann, 1893-1946 1
- Hayes, Rutherford B., 1822-1893 1
- Hechler, George, 1840-1929 1
- Hechler, Ken 1
- Hechler, Ken, 1914-2016 1
- Johnson, Lyndon B. (Lyndon Baines), 1908-1973 1
- Johnson, Niel M. 1
- Kampelman, Max M., 1920-2013 1
- Kefauver, Estes, 1903-1963 1
- Latham, George Robert, 1832-1917. 1
- Mathews, Henry M. (Henry Mason), 1834-1884 1
- Moley, Raymond. 1
- Neal, Will. 1
- Patton, George S. (George Smith), 1885-1945 1
- Rahall, Nick J., 1949- 1
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854- ) 1
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945 1
- Rosenman, Samuel I. (Samuel Irving), 1896-1973 1
- Schlesinger, Arthur M, Jr. (Arthur Meier), 1917-2007 1
- Staggers, Harley O. 1
- Staley family 1
- Stevenson, Adlai E. (Adlai Ewing), 1900-1965 1
- Truman, Harry S., 1884-1972 1
- United States. Army 1
- United States. Congress. House. Committee on Interior and Insular Affairs. Subcommittee on Mining and Natural Resources 1
- United States. Congress. House. Committee on Natural Resources 1
- United States. Congress. House. Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure 1
- Vaughan, Harry. 1
- Wade, L.M. 1
- West Virginia Anti-Saloon League 1
- West Virginia Editorial Association 1
- White, I. C. (Israel Charles), 1848-1927 1
- Williams, Phyllis Temple Stealey 1
- Wolverton, John Marshall, 1872-1944 1 ∧ less