Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

State Board of Control of West Virginia

 Organization

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Gravely and Moore Studio, Photography Business in Charleston, Negatives

 Collection
Collection Number: A&M.2523
Overview Negatives and other material from the Gravely and Moore Studio of Charleston, West Virginia. The majority of items within the collection are cellulose acetate negatives; the collection also includes glass plate negatives, prints, two photograph albums, and other material, as well as a card catalog documenting business transactions with customers. The collection is organized into customer project files as established by the Studio; the contents of these files are stored in envelopes usually...

Walter R. Thurmond (1881-1967) Papers

 Collection
Collection Number: A&M.2141
Overview Operator in the Logan coalfield for many years, collector of Internal Revenue for West Virginia, and president of the state Board of Control, 1937-1941. Thurmond returned to the coal industry in 1941 and helped organize the Southern Coal Producers' Association, serving as its secretary until his retirement in 1958. The collection consists of correspondence, speeches, scrapbooks, and other papers, including Thurmond's diaries for 1938-1967. Subjects include labor relations, taxes, mine safety,...

West Virginia State Board of Control, Correspondence

 Collection
Collection Number: A&M.1976
Overview Correspondence of the West Virginia State Board of Control, which was responsible for all state correctional institutions, educational institutions, and hospitals from 1909 to 1949. Individuals serving on the three-man board at various times were John S. Lakin, J.W. Barnes, J.A. Chambers, J.S. Darst, Edgar B. Stewart, J.Z. Terrell, W.R. Thurmond, John B. White, and F.W. McCullough. State institutions covered in the correspondence are Bluefield State College; Berkeley Springs Sanitarium;...

West Virginia University, Potomac State College Business Correspondence

 Collection
Collection Number: A&M.5233
Scope and Contents Business correspondence of Potomac State College. The institution was called the Preparatory Branch of West Virginia University on the official letterhead till mid-1921, when it became Potomac State School. In 1951, the name changed to Potomac State College of West Virginia University. The business correspondence is bound into 30 volumes, which include letters from the school's principal to the State Board of Control, various reports, and subjects such as attendance and purchasing. The volumes...