Collection Number: A&M.3035
Maps, ledgers and papers of the Erskine Coal & Land Co. which was headquartered in Staunton, VA. Named `Erskine', a common male family name of the Millers, a Staunton family of prominent businessmen and land speculators, it was a land company purchasing coal lands and renting them out on lease for a rate of royalty. There are also the papers, maps and ledgers of associated companies, including the Cranberry Land Co., the Fire Creek Coal & Coke Co., the Rock Lick Coal Co., the Stonewall Coal & Coke Co., the Thurmond Coal Co., and the Thurmond Land Co. All of these companies were developers of the coal fields of southern West Virginia, especially in the New River district.
- Erskine Coal and Land Company (Organization)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
No special access restriction applies.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish or reproduce is required from the copyright holder. For more information, please contact the West Virginia and Regional History Center.
37.6 Linear Feet (Summary: 37 ft. 7 in. (15 document cases, 5 in. each); (13 records cartons, 15 in. each); (4 large flat storage boxes, 3 in. each); (91 ledgers, 14 ft. 1 in.); 15 reels of microfilm)
West Virginia and Regional History Center / West Virginia University / 1549 University Avenue / P.O. Box 6069 / Morgantown, WV 26506-6069 / Phone: 304-293-3536 / Fax: 304-293-3981 / URL: https://wvrhc.lib.wvu.edu/
- C. G. Blake Coal and Coke Company
- Coal mining - New River field.
- Coal mining - Winding Gulf field.
- Coal mining - coal companies.
- Coal mining - contracts.
- Cranberry Land Company
- Erskine Coal and Land Company
- Fire Creek Coal and Coke Company
- Miller, Alex E.
- Miller, M. Erskine.
- Rock Lick Coal Company
- Sproul, Hugh, 1797-1873
- Stonewall Coal and Coke Company
- Thurmond Coal Company
- Erskine Coal and Land Company Records, 1815-1970
- Staff of the West Virginia & Regional History Center
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note