A metal tool with a wooden handle, known as a "splitter", used for cutting glass. The tool was used at the Adamston Flat Glass Factory, which was located in Adamston, West Virginia (a former town that is now part of the city of Clarkburg).
For additional information regarding the Adamston Glass Factory and the glassmaking industry in West Virginia, see also:
A&M 2870, Fourco Glass Company Records
A&M 3911, Window Glass Cutters League of America, Materials Collected by Richard Duez
A&M 5170, Kenneth Fones-Wolf, Historian, Research Papers Regarding Glass Industry Towns in West Virginia
Permission to publish or reproduce is required from the copyright holder. For more information, please contact the West Virginia and Regional History Center.
Biographical / Historical
The Adamston Flat Glass factory was built in 1901. This factory was one of a number of glass factories that operated in the Clarksburg area in the late 19th and early 20th centuries; these factories mainly produced window glass. In 1935, the Adamston Flat Glass Factory merged with three other glass companies to form the Fourco Glass Company. Production ceased at the Adamston factory ca. 1976 and the Fourco Glass Company closed in 1979.
West Virginia and Regional History Center / West Virginia University / 1549 University Avenue / P.O. Box 6069 / Morgantown, WV 26506-6069 / Phone: 304-293-3536 / Fax: 304-293-3981 / URL: https://wvrhc.lib.wvu.edu/
1549 University Ave. P.O. Box 6069
Adamston Flat Glass Factory, Glass Cutting Tool, West Virginia and Regional History Center, West Virginia University Libraries. https://archives.lib.wvu.edu/repositories/2/resources/6610 Accessed April 10, 2020.