Skip to main content

West Virginia University, Health Sciences Center, Administrative Records

 Collection
Collection Number: A&M 4749

Scope and Contents

This collection consists primarily of alphabetized personnel-related records documenting medical, dental, pharmacy, nursing, and professional faculty affiliated with the West Virginia University Health Sciences Center. The materials were created and accumulated in support of administrative, recruitment, and institutional activities. Records may include biographical and professional documentation, faculty publications, headshot photographs, resumes, curriculum vitae, correspondence, and related administrative files reflecting the academic and professional involvement of individuals within the Health Sciences Center.

In addition, Box 15 contains materials relating to the 100th anniversary of medical education at West Virginia University in 2004, and box 14 contains architectural materials from contractors associated with the construction of the Basic Sciences Building, 1955–1957.

Dates

  • Creation: circa 1955-2004

Conditions Governing Access

No special access restriction applies.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish or reproduce is required from the copyright holder. For more information, please see the Permissions and Copyright page on the West Virginia and Regional History Center website.

Biographical / Historical

The Medical Department at West Virginia University was founded in 1878 and was renamed the School of Anatomy, Physiology, and Hygiene in 1882. In 1900, the College of Medicine was established. The Department of Pharmacy was created in 1914 under the supervision of the Dean of the School of Medicine. The first dedicated School of Medicine building was constructed in 1916. In 1951, the School of Dentistry was established.

On March 9, 1951, the State Legislature passed House Bill No. 477 which read in part:

“The Board of Governors is hereby authorized, and, as soon as funds shall be available for the purpose, is directed to establish and maintain in the university a four-year school of medicine, dentistry and nursing . . ." The development of a four-year medical school was favored by West Virginia citizens. The most active group was the West Virginia State Medical Association. Aid was given by other health groups such as dentists, nurses, and pharmacists.

In 1988, the institution adopted the name Health Sciences Center, previously known as the Medical Center. This change reflected the expansion and diversification of academic programs across four schools: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, and Dentistry.

Text in part taken from: Van Liere, Edward J., et al. The History of the West Virginia University School of Medicine. West Virginia University School of Medicine.

Extent

16.92 Linear Feet (1 document case, 5 in.; 13 record cartons, 15 in. each; 1 flat storage box, 3 in.)

Language

English

Physical Location

West Virginia and Regional History Center / West Virginia University / 1549 University Avenue / P.O. Box 6069 / Morgantown, WV 26506-6069 / Phone: 304-293-3536 / URL: West Virginia & Regional History Center

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Boxes 1-13, Transfer from West Virginia University. Health Sciences Center. Communications and Institutional Relations, undated.

Box 14 and 15, Transfer from West Virginia University, Health Sciences, via Case, Bill, prior to 2016 October 27.

Title
West Virginia University, Health Sciences Center, Administrative Records
Author
Meredith L. Ahmed
Date
2026/05/01
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the West Virginia and Regional History Center Repository

Contact:
1549 University Ave.
P.O. Box 6069
Morgantown WV 26506-6069 US
304-293-3536