Collection Number: A&M.1414
Scope and Contents
Papers of Matthew Neely, a politician who had a long career as senator, congressman, governor, and Democratic political boss. Collection includes speeches, correspondence, pamphlets, legal papers, photographs, and copies of the Congressional Record . There are also newspaper clipping scrapbooks covering the years 1928-1954 (on five reels of microfilm). Neely had a long career, including law student at West Virginia University, Marion County lawyer, mayor of Fairmont, congressman, 1913-1921, 1945-1947, United States senator, 1923-1929, 1931-1941, 1949-1958, and governor of West Virginia, 1941-1945.
- Neely, Matthew Mansfield, 1874-1958 (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
No special access restriction applies.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish or reproduce is required from the copyright holder. For more information, please contact the West Virginia and Regional History Center.
10.8 Linear Feet (Summary: 10 ft. 9 1/4 in. (24 document cases, 5 in. each); (2 small flat storage boxes, 3 in. each); (1 flat storage box, 3 in.); (1 oversize folder, 1/4 in.); 5 reels of microfilm)
West Virginia and Regional History Center / West Virginia University / 1549 University Avenue / P.O. Box 6069 / Morgantown, WV 26506-6069 / Phone: 304-293-3536 / Fax: 304-293-3981 / URL: https://wvrhc.lib.wvu.edu/
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- Lawyers - letters and papers.
- Marion County (W. Va.)
- Neely, Matthew Mansfield, 1874-1958
- Politicians -- United States
- Politics and government.
- United States -- Politics and government
- United States Congressmen - West Virginia.
- United States. Congress
- United States. Congress. Senate
- West Virginia - Governors.
- West Virginia -- Politics and government
- West Virginia University
- Matthew Mansfield Neely (1874-1958), Politician, Papers, 1900-1954
- Staff of the West Virginia & Regional History Center
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note