Skip to main content

Surveyors and surveying.

Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source

Found in 66 Collections and/or Records:

Alex Welch Survey Papers

Collection Number: A&M.0832
Overview This collection includes several papers of Alex Welch's survey business, 1786-1801. Surveys were done for William Hunter Cavendish, Adonijah Matthews, Warder, Parker, and Company and William Morrow. The geographical locations include several places in Greenbrier and Kanawha counties in Virginia.
Dates: 1786-1801

Bath-Shepherdstown Road Survey

Collection Number: A&M.2646
Overview Survey by Charles B. Shaw for the Board of Public Works of a road between Berkeley Springs, Morgan Co. and Shepherdstown, Jefferson Co. Provided are statistics on course and grade as well as surveying location. Also includes sketches of the route's lay of the land, including some natural features such as streams and man made features.
Dates: 1836

Blue Sulphur Springs Land Survey

Collection Number: A&M.0549
Overview A land survey of the property of the Blue Sulphur Springs Resort of Greenbrier County including land (24 acres), cabins, dining house and stables. Conducted by David Hanna, the survey was ordered by the Greenbrier County Superior Court in order to settle a transaction dispute regarding the sale of the property by Nancy Patterson and the heirs of James Patterson to Joseph Martin and Charles Carraway.
Dates: 1832

Brass Surveying Scope by the Bostrom Company

Collection Number: A&M.4237
Scope and Contents Brass Surveying Scope by the Bostrom company in case (6 in. x 12 in.).
Dates: ca. 1935

Brooke Family Papers

Collection Number: A&M.1079
Overview Correspondence, clippings, biographical sketches, photographs, artifacts, and other items relating to the family of St. George Tucker Brooke (1844-1914), a professor at West Virginia University College of Law, 1878-1909. Correspondence includes business and personal letters to and from St. George Tucker Brooke and Charles Frederick Tucker Brooke, a Rhodes Scholar and Shakespearean authority at Yale; letters between Francis (Frank) Brooke to Mrs. Mary Brooke while he served in the U.S. and...
Dates: 1814-1990; Majority of material found within 1880-1960

Cabell County Land Records

Collection Number: A&M.2136
Overview A listing of survey fees showing the date of survey, name of person for whom survey was made, the number of acres, and the fee charged. For the period 1 July 1810 to 1 January 1821 there are notations of the number of surveys returned and the fees sent to William and Mary College. The second part of the volume lists land entries for the period, 1806-1833, showing date, name of owner, number of acres, warrant number, and page number for recording of entry.
Dates: 1806-1867

Campbell Family Papers

Collection Number: A&M.1321
Scope and Contents Account book, 1856-1901, of James Wilson Campbell. Includes estate settlement of his father, James L. Campbell, Cattle pedigrees, and various accounts, including some kept in James L.'s hand. Correspondence, 1866-1899 concerns family affairs, business, and there is one letter from a cousin at Marietta College, 1866, telling of geological field trip through the Wood, Ritchie, Pleasants, oil district of W. Va. School notes on mathematics and surveying of James Wilson Campbell, ca. 1854-1859;...
Dates: 1847-1901

Campbell's Creek Coal Company Papers

Collection Number: A&M.2248
Overview Three letters dated, ca.1902, exchanged by S.F. Dana and A.M. Putney of the Campbell's Creek Coal Company; letters from the Secretaries of State in West Virginia, Ohio, and New York stating when the corporation was chartered; and a copy of the 1881 survey conducted at Dana on Campbell's Creek.
Dates: 1902

Charles Harmison Land Papers

Collection Number: A&M.0948
Overview Photostats of land papers, including deeds, abstracts, agreements, and surveys, for land in Hampshire and Harrison counties, West Virginia; and Harrison County, Missouri, 1755-1913.
Dates: 1866-1914

Charles R. Nuzum, Collector, Surveyor's Compass

Collection Number: A&M.3783
Overview Surveyor's compass from the collection of Charles R. Nuzum, late of Cumberland, Maryland. Includes brass compass, two sight vanes, and wooden mount. The compass was made by "F.W. and R. King"; the maker's mark is visible on the compass face. Frederick W. and Richard King operated as makers of mathematical and nautical instruments between the years of 1851 and 1875 in Baltimore, Maryland.
Dates: ca. 1851-1875